free counter statistics

UK Student Visa Process - Important Information


The British High Commission in Sri Lanka has called on students to apply early for their visas to the United Kingdom.

In a Twitter message, the High Commission made the request, stating that currently, it was taking a period of five weeks to process visas.

“We receive high levels of applications in August so you should start to prepare and submit your application form now,” the British High Commission said.

How to choose a university or college in the UK

With over 160 universities and colleges and limitless courses and study options on offer, you can make your UK higher education experience as unique as you are.

There is a lot of information available to help you decide which course, location and UK university or college is right for you. A good place to start is , the official website for comparing UK higher education course data. On this website you can select and compare subjects, modes of study, teaching outcomes and location to help you learn more about the courses on offer.

Applying for your student visa

If you are 16 or over and want to study a course at higher education level in the UK lasting longer than six months, you will need to apply for a student visa through the Student Route

Step-by-step guide to applying for your student visa:

Step 1: Once you have received your unconditional offer, and you have accepted it, your university will give you a document called a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (or CAS).

Step 2: Once you have your CAS, you can begin the visa application process. You can apply for your visa up to six months before your course starts. You will need to pay an application fee (£363 for students) and have a current passport.

Step 3: As part of your application, you will need to pay a fee called an Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service. Students receive a 25 per cent discount on the usual cost, so the rate for student visa holders is £470 per year.

Step 4: As part of your student visa application, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language. Different universities have different requirements, so make sure you check what form of English language evidence you will need with your university.

Step 5: You will need to complete your application and have it accepted before you arrive in the UK.

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge?

The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is a fee levied on the majority of UK visa applications. The IHS is on top of other Home Office immigration fees and designed to land in a different government pocket. Also known as the NHS surcharge, it essentially adds £624 per year per person to the cost of a UK visa, or £470 a year for children

Calculate Immigration Health Surcharge

What is a CAS?

CAS stands for 'Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies'. The CAS is an electronic record that the University produces for the Home Office and it is required for your Student visa application. The University will produce a CAS for you and email you your CAS number and CAS statement, listing the information that has been sent to the UK Visas and Immigration Department. You will need this information to make your Student visa application.

Your CAS statement lists: Your CAS number,the start and end date of your course,our Sponsor Licence Number,the address of your primary site of study,The qualifications are used to assess your eligibility for a place on your course

Prepare for your visa interview

As part of your Student Visa application, you may be asked to attend an interview with a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) caseworker. Interviews are conducted via video link to the UK and usually take place at your local Visa Application Centre.

UKVI will use your interview to check that you are a genuine student. The interview is nothing to be concerned about - all you have to do is be confident, honest, and tell the truth. However, it helps to be as prepared as possible


UK post-study work visa for graduates (Graduate route visa)

The Graduate route is designed in such a way that international students who have earned their degree from a recognised university in the UK to stay there and look for work for at least two years. Graduates need not have a job offer to apply for a post-study work visa. Also, there are no minimum salary caps on numbers that allow students to work flexibly and build their careers in the UK.


Tips for International Students in UK

The best UK universities 2022 – rankings

Applying for a Student route visa outside the UK

Disclaimer: We only provide general information and useful links. You may seek professional immigration advice or do your own research before proceed

shareShare this article